Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Are you a safe driver? IMS' car can tell you
Intelligent Mechatronic Systems (IMS) has built a connected car experience focused on safer, smarter and greener driving. CHICAGO, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Intelligent Mechatronic Systems (IMS) is ...
Comparenow.com Explains Why Switching Auto Insurance Companies Can Be a Lucrative Consumer Choice
The longer a customer is with an auto insurance company, the more they may be paying for their policy. Comparenow.com explains why and offers an easy way to save money on car insurance. (PRWeb August 19, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12103651.htm
Doctor running for lieutenant governor swears by 'direct primary care' model
TOPEKA ? Wichita physician Josh Umbehr has never understood the traditional model of health care reimbursement ? the one in which doctors and hospitals fill out pages of forms to bill a patient's insurance company for everything from a $3 test to a $30,000 surgery.
41% spend 15 minutes picking health plans
Forty-one percent of those surveyed said the spent 15 minutes or less researching their health insurance plan in 2013, USA Today reports.
Auto Owners Insurance Prices by Zip Code Added to National Database at Insurer Portal
Auto owners insurance prices are now found by zip code through the Quotes Pros database at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . (PRWeb September 05, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/auto-owners-insurance/car-insurance-comparison/prweb12148996.htm
New Program from Liberty Mutual Insurance Play Positive? Renews Spirit of Sportsmanship in Youth Sports
BOSTON, Sept. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With schools back in session and fall sports practices across the country underway, Liberty Mutual Insurance looks to shine a new light on the importance of sportsmanship in youth sports. Liberty Mutual today introduces the Play Positive? Pledge, an opportunity for youth sports teams and organizations to earn $2,500 for pledging their commitment to ...
Car Insurance Quotes for California Motorists Now Delivered Online at Auto Insurer Website
Car insurance quotes are now obtained online by California drivers using the system at the Quotes Pros website. State agencies can be sorted by price at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . (PRWeb August 20, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/car-insurance-quotes/auto-insurance-california/prweb12109490.htm
Kasey Kahne wins in wild finish at Atlanta after Tony Stewart struggles
HAMPTON, Ga. ? Kasey Kahne is no longer chasing a spot in NASCAR's 10-race championship playoff.
L?olivier Assurances Selects Guidewire Products for Underwriting, Policy Administration, Claims Management, and Billing
Guidewire Software, Inc. , a provider of software products to Property/Casualty insurers, today announced that L?olivier Assurances, the French subsidiary of Admi
800+ Global Insurance Telematics Leaders Unite in Chicago Today to Rewrite the UBI Rule Book as Insurers Re-brand to ...
Telematics Update: Today, 800+ automakers, insurers, auto agents and telematics execs including Allstate, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Farmers Insurance and Ford have united at Insurance Telematics USA 2014 to discuss how to position UBI as a mainstream product by delivering undisputable value to consumers. (PRWeb September 03, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/09 ...