Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Car Insurance Mistakes to Avoid
No one?s a pro in making decisions the first time especially when money is involved. Choosing car insurance could be tricky as the providers? rates change every now and then because of several factors. Here are common mistakes when choosing car insurance: #1 Choosing Price over Coverage The cheapest is not always the best. Even [?] The post Car Insurance Mistakes to Avoid appeared first on ...
For Drivers in Belgium, God Is Their Insurance Agent
SCHERPENHEUVEL, Belgium?Belgium's roads are among the riskiest in Europe so thousands of drivers come here to take out an Almighty insurance policy. For Mariano Duye, the trip is a family tradition. His mother used to take him to Scherpenheuvel to have the family car blessed. He lives in Leuven, a half-hour drive from Scherpenheuvel, and has brought each of the five cars he has owned to the ...
Car Insurance Santa Ana CA: Target Up Insurance Is Expanding
SANTA ANA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Santa Ana CA - After 30 plus years in the insurance business providing excellent coverage at reasonable prices to their customers, Target Up Insurance is pleased to announce their expansion into the Santa Ana area. There are plenty of national chains and insurance companies already in the Santa Ana region, but Target Up is ...
Why Motor City is an Expensive Place to Drive
Detroit may have one of the lowest costs of living in the country, but its residents are paying 165 percent more for car insurance than the national average, according to a new analysis by InsuranceQuotes.com. The average cost of car insurance nationwide was $797 in 2011 (the most recent data available), according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Motor City residents pay ...
Renting a Car With Your Credit Card: The Devil Is in the Details
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Credit-card companies like to tout how you'll get free insurance if you rent a car using their card, but a detailed analysis finds that the coverage they provide sometimes excludes big SUVs, overseas rentals and more. "Most people probably have at least one card in their wallet that provides car-insurance coverage, but what's important to understand is that the devil is ...
Metro Denver has sixth-least expensive car insurance in the nation
The Denver metropolitan area has the sixth cheapest car insurance in the nation, according to a report released Thursday by insuranceQuotes.
3 cities where car insurance tops $1,000 a year
The most ? and least ? expensive cities for car insurance.
How Much Car Insurance Do You Need? Don't Guess
There are generally accepted guidelines to help make car insurance coverage decisions, but don't leave it up to fate.
In Belgium, Drivers Seeking Safe Travels Have Their Cars Blessed by a Priest
SCHERPENHEUVEL, Belgium?Belgium's roads are among the riskiest in Europe so thousands of drivers come here to take out an Almighty insurance policy. Every year, more than 5,000 people?most of them Belgian, ...
Not Caring About Personal Privacy Might Lead to Auto Insurance Discounts, Says 4AutoInsuranceQuote
The Website Just Posted a New Article that Explains How People who are Not Concerned with this Issue Might Get Better Auto Insurance Rates New York, NY / ACCESSWIRE / September 12, 2014 / 4AutoInsuranceQuote.com, ...