Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Detroit Tops U.S. In Car Insurance Costs
Detroit isn't just the car capital of the U.S. ? it's also the king of car-insurance costs. According to insuranceQuotes.com, a subsidiary of finance-info provider Bankrate Insurance, the Motor City and its metropolitan area lay claim to the dubious distinction...
Car Insurance Quote Finder Now Installed at Public Insurer Portal Online
A car insurance quote finder is now available for drivers to use at the Quotes Pros website nationally at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . (PRWeb August 31, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/car-insurance-quote/auto-insurance-quote/prweb12134849.htm
Affordable Car Insurance Providers Quoting Plans Online Added to Insurer Portal Website
New affordable car insurance providers are now helping to quote policies online using the Quotes Pros database at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . (PRWeb September 04, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/affordable-car-insurance/auto-insurance-quotes/prweb12146323.htm
Fitbit could be your weight-loss promise to the boss
To fight rising medical costs, oil company BP last year offered Cory Slagle - a 118-kilogram former football lineman - an unusual way to trim NZ$1400 from his annual insurance bill.
ARMED WITH FITNESS TRACKERS
To fight rising medical costs, oil company BP last year offered Cory Slagle ? a 260-pound former football lineman ? an unusual way to trim $1,200 from his annual insurance bill.
Houston expo caters to same-sex couples
The Houston LGBT Wedding Expo at the Galleria-area JW Marriott, which was hosted by the North Carolina-based Rainbow Wedding Network, showcased venues and companies marketing to the growing number of same-sex couples. With the LGBT community gaining visibility and gay-marriage bans toppling in several states, wedding events and services for same-sex couples are becoming increasingly popular ...
Wear This Device So the Boss Knows You?re Losing Weight
To fight rising medical costs, oil company BP Plc (BP) last year offered Cory Slagle -- a 260-pound former football lineman -- an unusual way to trim $1,200 from his annual insurance bill. One option was to wear a fitness-tracking bracelet from Fitbit Inc. to earn points toward cheaper health insurance. Twelve months later, Slagle has added to his new exercise regimen by trading burgers for ...
San Antonio No. 2 in tailgate thefts
Nationwide, there were 1,921 insurance claims citing stolen tailgates off of pickup trucks between Jan. 1, 2012, and Dec. 31, 2013.
Auto Insurance Quotes for Texas Motorists Now Delivered Through New State System at Insurance Website
Auto insurance quotes are now supplied to Texas motorists who use the Quotes Pros website at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . This new consumer state search tool is now accessible. (PRWeb August 18, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/auto-insurance-quotes/car-insurance-texas/prweb12102607.htm
Thieves targeting pickup truck tailgates
Nationwide, insured tailgate thefts have jumped 31 percent from 831 in 2012 to 1,090 in 2013, acording to the study. Thieves sell the tailgates online, put them on other trucks or sell them as scrap metal, according to the bureau.