Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Where Drivers Pay the Most -- And Least -- For Car Insurance
Average auto insurance costs can vary from one major U.S. city to another by as much as nearly 200 percent, with Detroit leading the pack in premiums,
Cars that drive themselves starting to chat with each other
The second car drove itself, following instructions beamed over by the first in a feat of technology that indicates a new stage in automation is happening faster than many expected. Manufacturers and suppliers now are putting the two together in novel ways, with broad implications for vehicle safety and convenience. General Motors Co, Honda Motor Co, which owns Acura, and other automakers are ...
Americans Spend More Time Researching a New Car Than Health Insurance Options
NEW YORK ( MainStreet ) ? While some consumers wait anxiously for the annual health care open enrollment period, other Americans are in a rush to choose benefits despite its lasting consequences.
Detroit Has Most Expensive Car Insurance, Charlotte Has Cheapest
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Detroit has the most expensive car insurance and Charlotte has the cheapest, according to a new insuranceQuotes.com examination of average premiums in the ...
Metro Denver has sixth-least expensive car insurance in the nation
The Denver metropolitan area has the sixth cheapest car insurance in the nation, according to a report released Thursday by insuranceQuotes.
Update: It's Still Ridiculously Expensive To Drive In Detroit
Nothing new here, just more evidence that's car insurance is sky high in the Motor City. According to some figures, Detroiters pay 165% more than the national average. Read more...
Five ways to keep your beater car on the road forever
I am driving around town in a 15-year-old beater these days. The ride is...pleasant. The premium sound system still offers that healthy escape from the rigors of the road, and the leather seats are in better shape than the den sofa I bought brand new five years ago. I could take this car across the country tomorrow without a care or a concern. It does everything I ask of it. This blue Buick ...
3 cities where car insurance tops $1,000 a year
The most ? and least ? expensive cities for car insurance.
Want cheaper car insurance? Move here
An InsuranceQuotes.com report reveals the most and least expensive cities for car insurance in America.
Green Light Auto Group Pty Limited (Carboodle) Enters Referral and Broker Agreement with Aussie Car Loans
Sydney, Australia, Sep 11, 2014 - (ABN Newswire) - Cash Converters International Ltd (ASX:CCV.AX - News) ("the Company") is pleased to announce that its subsidiary, Green Light Auto Group (GLA), trading as Carboodle, has entered into a Referral Agreement and a Broker Agreement with Australia's leading online car finance broker, Aussie Car Loans. Under the Referral Agreement, customers that fall ...