Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Guide to buying your first car
Buying your first car will require some time and effort on your part. Here's a step-by-step guide to get the best deal on a new ride.
Beginner?s Guide to Buying Your First Car
You don?t want to be bamboozled by a slick car salesman. As Stacy Johnson said, ?Cars are for transportation, not status.? Consumer Reports recommends that you figure out how much car you can afford by looking at two factors:
Terrorism and Insurance: 13 Years After 9/11 The Threat Of Terrorist Attack Remains Real
NEW YORK, Sept. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The year-end expiration of the federal Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (TRIPRA), and its uncertain future, is creating capacity and pricing issues for terrorism insurance buyers, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.). ...
What you need to know about buying a teen?s first car
OKLAHOMA CITY ? When your teen starts driving, parents may be contemplating whether to buy another set of wheels. Before you pull the trigger and buy a car, the Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants has some tips on how to handle the finances and responsibilities that come with making a purchase of this size. [?]
5 Out Of 8 M?sians Said It?s Hard To Find A Trusted Car Workshop. Carama Can Help.
Calling all car owners! We have a website that finds you trusted car workshop within your radius! Previously, we have had apps for booking taxis and even vans which provide moving services, but never one that enables you to find a car workshop. As a car driver, I feel you! The pain just does not stop there, even if you manage to search for a car workshop, you will constantly be haunted by the ...
(PRWeb September 03, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12133110.htm
http://www.prweb.com/ Latest news releases for Springfield, OH from PRWeb en Wed, 03 Sep 2014 03:34:06 GMT http://www.prweb.com/images/logo_feed.gif http://www.prweb.com/ 120 28 email@example.com (Managing Editor) firstname.lastname@example.org (Managing Editor) 30 http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12133110.htm Mount Pleasant Medical Clinic now accepting new patients for five Monroe ...
Podcast: Late-summer road trip tips
Still needing to hit the road this summer? Better hurry up! And you'll want to make sure that your car is gassed up and ready for the drive.
The PEUGEOT 8-Car Range with New 64-Plates
AUTO CENTRAL, UK -- August 28, 2014: The PEUGEOT 8-car range is its youngest ever as new registration arrives on 1st September Exceptional technology includes PureTech petrol and BlueHDi diesel efficiency Innovative and unique finance offers, including ?Just Add Fuel? and PEUGEOT Passport Hot on the heels of exciting new product launches and rejuvenating mid-cycle updates, PEUGEOT now has its ...
USDA launches new dairy insurance program
Dairy farmers squeezed in recent years by low milk prices and high feed costs can begin signing up next week for a new program replacing old subsidies that didn't factor in the price of corn. Signups for ...
Windows to New Worlds
After 17 years of planning, fundraising, designing and building, the South Carolina State Museum?s new Windows To New Worlds project officially opens on Aug. 16. It includes a planetarium, 4D theater, observatory and an exciting and collaborative approach to education that can reach every school and give every student a chance to reach for the stars.